More posts in this series!
- Get more work done by prioritizing your momentum
- Using rewards in the right way for productivity
- The hustle pitfall: Don’t make rest into a reward
Way back in 2008, I wrote a post called The Complete Flake’s Guide to Getting Things Done.
That was BC (Before Copyblogger). I had a lovely small audience, a three-year-old at home, and a strong motivation to get out of my corporate gig.
The Flake post got a lot of attention. Leo Babauta linked to it, and it was probably my biggest traffic success before I started playing in the Great Big Copyblogger Sandbox.
I’ve updated it a few times since I first wrote it, but it has one big problem:
I didn’t actually understand what being a “flake” meant
I knew that I’d had trouble focusing since I was little-tiny. I knew I was the kid who “never lived up to their potential.”
And I knew I had tons of ideas, and worked really hard, but I often had a tough time with the finishing part.
It wasn’t until very recently that I figured out that this collection of traits is an understood pattern, and that it has a name: ADHD.
That realization made me look back at my Complete Flakes post, and feel like at times it was a little mean and disrespectful.
(Funny how we feel like it’s fine to be mean and disrespectful of ourselves.)
So it’s time to create an updated version.
When I sat down to plan that out, I realized the topic deserved a lot more focus than one blog post.
Because over the years, I’ve accumulated a metric dorkton of techniques, hacks, and strategies for managing a brain that has inconvenient tendencies.
So rather than a single post, I bring you:
Flake-Friendly Productivity Month!
🎉 … or “Flake Month” for short 🎉
I’m holding a month of flake-free productivity advice, strategies, support, and encouragement.
The month starts August 26 (that’s this coming Friday), and it ends September 23.
Because going from the 1st to the 31st would be basic.
- I’ll be loading up my newsletter, The Fierce, with tons of flake-friendly strategies to get more done.
- I’ll also send out optional bonus tips every week, delivered by email.
- I’m also going to host a one-week (Monday through Friday) project sprint in mid-September. It’s free, and it’s a great time to get serious progress made on project you care about.
- We’ll wrap up with open enrollment to my Creative Fierce implementation community. That community has been helping creative people get more focused work done for nearly two years. It exists purely to give you a flexible, structured environment to make work happen.
Do you need to be ADHD (or a flake) to use these?
A lot of “ADHD traits” have become much more common since the start of the pandemic.
Fuzzy focus, low motivation, chronic distractibility, and over-the-top overwhelm are all normal now.
If you need more focus to get your big projects done, you’re going to get a ton of use out of this.
If you want to join the party (and you should, all the most fun people are going to be there), just make sure you’re getting my newsletter.
You can drop your information in the nice form below — scroll down below the comments to the sign-up box that says “Resources for the fiercely creative content writer.”
(You can also click this link if you’re not seeing the form on mobile.)
We’ll get rolling on Friday, and keep rolling through late September.
If you have ever felt your “flakiness” or lack of focus were keeping you from doing amazing things, join us!
I think you’ll be surprised at what you can do with a few new strategies and tools. And I would absolutely love to help you get there.
Flying pug photo by Bruce Galpin on Unsplash
Leave a Reply