If you’re looking for something fancy to serve for U.S. Thanksgiving — or just to keep all to yourself because it’s fantastic — give this a try.
This is an old recipe from Cook’s Illustrated magazine, tweaked a little over the years.
Mix in a medium saucepan:
- Two red bell peppers, finely diced
- One bag of cranberries, washed, picked over (toss the gross ones) and coarsely chopped
- One medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (about 120 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
- One jalapeno chile (or any chile you like), minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt (a pinch)
- 1/2 tsp. hot pepper flakes, or to suit your taste (a big pinch)
Bring the whole thing to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. It’s ready when it’s the consistency of super chunky jam.
This is lovely with turkey, chicken, pork, or even lamb.
If you’re bringing it to a friend’s Thanksgiving and they have kiddos (or folks who can’t do any spice), maybe get a trusty can of the wobbly stuff so everyone has something they like.
Enjoy the holiday … or just enjoy the relish. ♥️